YB Tuan Damian Yeo Shen Li
Managing Partner and Head of Corporate and Advisory
Managing Partner of Messrs Damian S. L. Yeo & L.C. Goh, and headed Corporate Advisory Department
Registered intellectual property agent since 2003
- Advocate & Solicitor, High Court of Malaya
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours (University of London)
- Certificate in Legal Practice (Legal Profession Qualifying Board, Malaysia)
- Chambered at Messrs Andrew T. S. Goh & Khairil, Malacca (Nov 2000 to September 2001)
- Partner at Messrs Bashir & Co., Malacca (October 2001 to July 2003)
- Legal Assistant at Messrs Bashir Wong Chin & Partners, KL (August 2003)
Among other things, whilst at Messrs Bashir & Co. was personally involved in the initial registration of trade marking of Somaly Rice for OEL Realty Sdn. Bhd. in 2002.
Damian is also involved in a patent of a biotechnology paddy farming currently in Seberang Perak, Perak. A joint venture agreement was drafted and prepared for 5000 hectares of paddy land with Felcra in 2007. The project was estimated valued at about RM3.9 million.
Damian is also involved in the joint venture of a biotechnology plant in Bandung, Indonesia and heads the due diligence for intellectual property portfolio for the sum of RM59 million for Johor Corp and Sindora Bhd acquisition of Microwell Sdn Bhd.
Damian is also the legal and structural advisor for Opes group of companies in Malaysia and Singapore that had acquired lands, companies and other business with a GDV of over RM400 million through merger and acquisition, take over, sharesale, joint ventures.
Damian has over 15 years of international experience in franchise development and cross border business and corporate advisory and has registered or assists in registering more than 500 intellectual properties in Malaysia, India, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Egypt, Turkey, United States, European Union, Thailand, Philippines, Vietnam, Cambodia and South Korea.
He is endorsed as a Franex Lawyer for the Malaysian Franchise Association, the association supporting the franchise industry assisting the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Co-operative and Consumerism.
Area of Practice
Business Advisory Matters
Matters falling under the purview of the Franchise Act, Direct Sale Act, Companies Act, Competition Act, and other business structural matters relating to:
- Incorporation of companies;
- Sale and Purchase of Companies, Businesses and Assets;
- Agreements pertaining to partnership, formation, investments (angel investors, venture capital investor or private equity funders), share-sale;
- Agreements pertaining to shareholders; ordinary or preferential, redeemable or non redeemable, convertible or non convertible, duties and obligations, appointments;
- Agreements pertaining to exit clauses such as share clawback, tag along, deadlock, call and put option, reconciliatory;
- Drafting of Joint Venture Agreements, Partnership Agreements, Land Dredging Agreement, Build Occupy & Transfer Agreement;
- Franchise and Licensing Agreement
- Employment Agreements, Personal Data Protection, Confidentiality, Spring Board, Competition laws;
- Equity Crowd Funding;
Advising on the legal compliance, and regulatory matters.
- Breach of fiduciary duties of directors – duty to act bona fide in interests of company, duty to exercise powers for proper purposes, duty to retain discretion, duty to avoid conflict of interests, duty to disclose interests, duties of care and diligence;
- Duties of majority shareholders and position of minority shareholders and remedies for breach of duty;
- Appointment, powers, duties and liabilities and general law relating to receivers;
- And others
Drafting of various conveyancing agreements specifically Sale & Purchase Agreements, Tenancy Agreements, Building Contract Agreements, Trust Deeds, Novation Agreements, Power of Attorneys, Deed of Assignments, Loan Agreement cum Deed of Assignment and other documents relating to transfer and charge of a property.
Litigious and corporate advisory matters falling under the purview of Trade Marks Act, Patents Act, Industrial Designs Act, Geographical Indication Act, Copyrights Act, Layout Design Act, Franchise Act, Trade Description Act etc. which includes amongst other protection, investigation and enforcement, anti-counterfeiting measures, AND infringement proceedings.
Corporate area which includes but not limited to research, corporate drafting, due diligence exercise on IPs, maintenance, licenses and registration, renewal and assignment, commercial rebranding.
Area of biotechnology and bioengineering patents and products which relates to Biological Supply, Material Transfer, Clinical Study, Contract Research etc
Information Technology, Communication & Media Law
Matters pertaining to legal issues related to use of communicative, transactional, and distributive aspects of networked information devices and technologies which also includes computer fraud, hacking etc.
- Digital Signature Act
- Computer Crimes Act
- Communication and Multimedia Act
- Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission
- Film Censorship Act
Licensing matters falling under
- Franchise Act
- Control of Drugs and Cosmetics Regulations 1984
- Malaysian Communications And Multimedia Commission
- Control of Drugs and Cosmetics Regulations 1984 under the Ministry of Health
- Halal License
- Indonesia BPOM license (Badan Pengawasan Obat dan Makanan)
- Due diligence of Food and Factory industries
- Preparation for lab reports and surveys
- State Assemblyman for Duyong
- House Committee Chairman of Melaka Selcat for Competency, Transparency and Accountability (MELCAT)
- Deputy Chairman Public Account Committee
Non Profit Organisation
- Malaysia Franchise Association
- Gereja Latter Rain Malaysia
- National Evangelical Christian Fellowship
- DAP Melaka
- Legal Advisors to more than 20 Chinese Associations, Temples, Mosque and Non governmental Organisation